Welcome

The life, creations and adventures of a history student.

Tuesday 1 May 2012

The Duster Jacket

A couple years ago I came across this wonderful pattern from Simplicity for an automobile duster. I had to have it of course, especially since I have been volunteering at a car museum for my whole life (my dad works at one). So I tackled the full length duster. The pockets were the worst part, but I eventually figured them out (sort of) and it all turned out quite well.
I put the pattern away, thinking that I was finished with it for a long time, until I went to a musical. I saw my coat, done in pink and green, and it was short! Brilliant! So for the last year, I have been thinking about making a second, shorter jacket from my duster pattern. And finally, I found a plain green/brown coloured canvas type fabric that I thought would make a very nice jacket.

Pocket and cuff trimmings.
Front of duster.

Back of duster.

For my second go at the duster, I decided to for-go all the fancying trims and decided to purchase some nice metal buttons. For some reason I decided not to make it a size or two smaller for a more fitted jacket (which was probably a silly idea now that I am done). I did however use the back tab to pull the fabric to the back for the sake of simple tailoring, and it was the first time that I actually got to use my dress form! (To whom I lovingly refer to as Dora the Dress Form.) The thing works like a charm. I think that it turned out quite well again, and will perhaps make a nice coat to wear on a chilly day to work (with the approval of the costuming department of course). It has a sort of military look to it with the colour and brass buttons, but I enjoy it.
Pre-finishing touches on new jacket.
After finishing touches. Probably should iron it...
The back with the tab.
Very pretty buttons!

3 comments:

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Kizzie, I love the jacket! The brass buttons add a nice touch. You definitely have a talent for sewing and fashion design.

    ReplyDelete