Welcome

The life, creations and adventures of a history student.

Sunday 24 February 2013

Burda 7252 Retro Skirt

It turns out that I had enough fabric to make the Burda skirt pattern in my favourite fabric. I love the finished project, but I found myself making a few mistakes in the creation of this garment.

The first thing I did not do correctly was measuring my waist. I couldn't find my measuring tape, so I used a ribbon to and a ruler to decide the correct measurement. This, unsurprisingly, gave me the incorrect measurements and had me cutting the pattern out at least one size to small. Which I of course did not realise until it was cut out.

Secondly, I realised that I cut out the lining pieces out of the main fabric. Oops! But that just meant I had to go buy some lining, which I cut out a size bigger in order to accommodate for my planned alterations to make my skirt larger.

I then remembered, after putting the interfacing to my waistband that I would have to cut the waistband a size bigger as well. Which is where it was fortunate that my lining mistake allowed enough extra fabric to cut out a new waistband.

To make the skirt larger, I eliminated a dart from each side of the skirt, in addition to only putting in one pleat in the back of the skirt. Which made it too big, so I added the darts back in and tailored the side seams to get the fit right.

After several silly mistakes due to poor measurement and reading, I ended up with a lovely skirt to add to my wardrobe.



1 comment: