Welcome

The life, creations and adventures of a history student.

Tuesday 26 November 2013

How to be a (patient) Victorian

Yesterday after class my friends from work (all of us happen to be history majors and take classes at the same University, go figure!) and I visited the University Bookstore. From time to time I enjoy perusing the history section to see what new books are out. By chance, because I rarely look at the European History section, I happened upon How to be a Victorian by Ruth Goodman.

Today I purchased the book (using a gift card I had received at a history award event... nothing like some book money), and have read the preface. I am restraining myself from reading anymore until I am finished the semester... but oh I can tell it will be hard!!!

The author, Ruth Goodman, is what I would call a "practical historian." Ms. Goodman's involvement with the Farm series, particularly her time on Victorian Farm and Victorian Pharmacy, has provided her with first hand experience of everyday Victorian life. The Edwardian, Wartime and Victorian Farm shows have provided me with hours of entertainment, and have provided me with much inspiration.

I would love to do something like Ruth and her co-workers(stars?) have done one day - spending a year living on an historical farm would be a fascinating and unique experience.

For now I shall have to content myself with the excitement of getting to read about Ruth's experiences in How to be a Victorian... 

No comments:

Post a Comment